Murder Weapon is an ingeniously plotted, highly tense thriller from Brian Clemens, creator of The Avengers and author of Inside Job, Without Trace and Strictly Murder. After much delay due to COVID-19, Cheriton Players were delighted to at last stage this postponed thriller in November 2021. We played to packed houses over four nights.
An Unexpected Fate at The Fête
An online Murder Mystery – but with a difference. This one was performed on Zoom, for one night only on Wednesday 30th June 2021 at 7.30pm.
Doctor, Doctor/The Dominatrix Solution
The latest in our Lockdown Series of productions for radio, we have great pleasure in presenting a double bill of two short comedy sketches by Winchester playwright Jonathan Edgington.
Let Nothing You Dismay
The next in our Lockdown Series of short radio plays, this one has a Christmas Theme and is to be broadcast on Radio Christmas on December 13th at 7pm, and on Winchester Today Radio on Christmas Eve at 11.15am and 3.15pm. Also available on SoundCloud and YouTube from 9th December 2020.
The latest in our 'Lockdown' series of short radio plays, written by Jonathan Edgington. Directed by Rebecca Leadley and sound engineering by Charlie Hellard.
Mystery Shopper (short radio play)
The second in our series of short radio plays, this one is written by Cheriton Players member Craig Robb and was recorded and edited by Kevin Gover.
Cheriton Players' first radio play, recorded as a result of COVID-19 lockdown. It's just over nine minutes long, so it won't take up too much of your time. Click on the title to read more and get the link to listen.
Diamonds are for Trevor
Our autumn 2019 production was a hilarious spoof Bond movie and was a first for Cheriton, inasmuch as it involved a mixture of filmed material and stage acting. As such, it was an interesting challenge and new experience for the actors (film acting is very different from stage acting) and meant a split rehearsal period – filming over the summer in various locations locally – and the stage rehearsals which started in September.
A Very International Variety Show – It’s a Little Bit Bonkers!
Carrying on from The Even Greater Cheriton Variety Show in 2017 with its mix of songs from shows, sketches, melodramas and guest appearances, Claire Smith and Tracey Anderson put together an amazing show with a very international theme.
The Cheriton Players' autumn production 2018 was Fallen Angels, by that master of stylish light comedy, Noel Coward. Set in a society London apartment in the 1920s, two married women receive identical communications from a dashing lover from their past. The second scene as they prepare for his visit is a classic of the theatre, with the two gals getting rather drunk and quarrelling.
The Browning Version/A Matter of Taste
This was the third such rehearsed reading by Cheriton Players and was a fundraising evening in support of our 2018 charity, Blue Apple Theatre based in Winchester, who support and encourage live theatre and performing by children with learning difficulties.
Our Spring 2018 production was Communicating Doors by Alan Ayckbourn, a comedy with several twists including murder, intrigue, suspense and a time travelling portal!
We had a complete sell-out for the whole run and, it being a warm week (an unusual April heatwave arrived for the first night) we nearly ran out of ice creams!
A Christmas Carol Reboot
BBV Theatre returns to Cheriton, following the successful tour of Charley's Aunt in May, with a modern day take on Dickens' classic – A Christmas Carol. This story of redemption certainly stands the test of time. And we've even thrown in a twist, too.
The Game’s Afoot
It is December 1936 and Broadway star William Gillette, admired the world over for his leading role in the play Sherlock Holmes, has invited his fellow cast-members to his castle for a weekend of revelry.
Rehearsed Reading – Young Jane – three plays inspired by Jane Austen’s teenage writings by Cecily O’Neill of 2TimeTheatre, introduced by Cecily herself.
Friday 22nd September 2017, 7.30 pm in Cheriton Village Hall
(Another) Murder in Cheriton!
It was the 1950s and in Cheriton yet another murder shook its people to the core. It seems everyone had a secret… and the village and police needed your help to solve the mystery.
Charley’s Aunt (A BBV Production)
For the first time ever, Cheriton Players played host to a touring production by another group, BBV Productions. The result was a delightful evening of fun with a comedy classic.
The Even Greater Cheriton Variety Show
A fund raiser for the Cheriton Village Hall, and back by popular demand, The Cheriton Players and the Cheriton Village Hall committee presented the Even Greater Cheriton Variety Show to packed houses over four nights in March 2017.
Cash on Delivery
Cash on Delivery is a traditional farce, written by Michael Cooney (son of Ray Cooney) and featuring, amongst other unlikely characters, a washing machine with a mind of its own.
A Month of Sundays
'A Month of Sundays' is a touching comedy with plenty of laughs – and one or two rather poignant moments too. A really lovely story of human frailty and our ability to use our sense of humour to overcome it.
Lord Arthur Savile’s Crime
Third Week in August
Our second outdoor production ever, this hugely popular comedy by Peter Gordon, set in a run-down campsite, played to packed audiences in the grounds of The Flower Pots Inn. Meet Neville, the camper you would most definitely NOT want to park your caravan next door to, plus a load of other dysfunctional characters.
The Great Cheriton Variety Show
A fundraiser in aid of Cheriton Village Hall, this was a bit of a throw-back to the days of our Old Time Music Halls, and proved to be as popular as ever.
Based on PG Wodehouse's Blandings stories, this delightful comedy follows the antics of Clarence, The Ninth Earl of Emsworth, his formidable sister Connie, dippy son Freddie, arch rival Sir Gregory Parsloe-Parsloe and many others.
An Inspector Calls
A fine classic from the pen of J.B. Priestley. The mysterious Inspector Goole calls with life-changing news and life for the Birlings is never going to be the same again.
A Bolt from the Blue
A most unusual, zany comedy that got our audiences intrigued and laughing in equal amounts. April 2013.
A bitter sweet comedy about a homeless family and how they affect a Methodist Minister
With a cast of over 20, some playing two characters apiece, Alice provided a challenge for everyone not least because it rained on and off for four of the five performances.
- Murder Weapon - November 2021
- An Unexpected Fate at The Fête - June 2021
- Doctor, Doctor/The Dominatrix Solution - March 2021
- Let Nothing You Dismay - December 2020
- Hologram - November 2020
- Mystery Shopper (short radio play) - September 2020
- Jack - August 2020
- Diamonds are for Trevor - November 2019
- A Very International Variety Show – It’s a Little Bit Bonkers! - April 2019
- Fallen Angels - November 2018
- The Browning Version/A Matter of Taste - June 2018
- Communicating Doors - April 2018
- A Christmas Carol Reboot - December 2017
- The Game’s Afoot - November 2017
- Young Jane - September 2017
- (Another) Murder in Cheriton! - June 2017
- Charley’s Aunt (A BBV Production) - April 2017
- The Even Greater Cheriton Variety Show - March 2017
- Cash on Delivery - November 2016
- A Month of Sundays - March 2016
- Lord Arthur Savile’s Crime - November 2015
- Third Week in August - June 2015
- The Great Cheriton Variety Show - March 2015
- Oh Clarence! - June 2014
- An Inspector Calls - December 2013
- A Bolt from the Blue - April 2013
- Season’s Greetings - December 2012
- Murdered to Death - May 2012
- Clerical Errors - November 2011
- Alice - June 2011
- Blithe Spirit - November 2010
- Don’t Dress for Dinner - April 2010
- Ten Times Table - May 2009
- The Ghost Train - November 2008
- Habeas Corpus - April 2008
- Murder in Cheriton - May 2007
- Murder in Cheriton! - May 2007
- The Champion of Paribanou - January 2007
- Parallel Lines - November 2006
- Table Manners - April 2006
- A Christmas Carol - December 2005
- Out of Order - April 2005
- Idol Talent - January 2005
- The Noble Spaniard - November 2004
- Jungle Fantasy - May 2004
- The Real Inspector Hound - November 2003
- Black Comedy - November 2003
- Oliver! - January 2003
- Don’t Utter a Note - May 2002
- Forty – Not Out! - December 2001
- Murder in Play - March 2001
- Confusions - November 2000
- An Evening’s Entertainment - March 2000
- Move over Mrs Markham - November 1999
- Party Piece - November 1998
- After the Ball is Over - April 1998
- Cat on the Fiddle - April 1997
- Love’s a Luxury - November 1996
- She Stoops to Conquer - April 1996
- Key for Two - November 1995
- Bless ’em all’ - May 1995
- Pardon me, Prime Minister - April 1994
- Variety Music Hall - November 1993
- Murder in Company - April 1993
- Worzel Gummidge - November 1992
- Outside Edge - April 1992
- My Fair Lady - November 1991
- Two one-act plays - April 1991
- Haul for the Shore - May 1990
- Tons of Money - November 1989
- The Late Mr Larrington - April 1989
- Man Alive - April 1988
- I’ll Get My Man - May 1987
- Charley’s Aunt - February 1985
- Lock up your Daughters -
- (Best of) Old Time Music Hall -
- Merry Christmas Music Hall -
- The Wind in the Willows -
- Music Hall -